Work Equip Mech-Field - Various Locations
Union Pacific Corporation
Work Equip Mech-Field - Various Locations
VAR-SYSTEM, NE, US, 68000
Reference Number: 1011
Closing Date: Apply early as this job may be filled at any time.
Most communications will be done electronically. Please check email, including spam folders, daily.
If you wish to solicit an employee referral for this position, please ensure the employee submits the referral prior to submitting your application.
Pay Rate: $39.80/hourly
Join our dynamic team of Work Equipment Mechanics! As a valued member, you will play a vital role in the upkeep and restoration of tools, equipment, and machinery for our esteemed engineering department. Your expertise will directly contribute to Union Pacific's commitment to delivering goods safely and efficiently to our valued customers across North America. We are powered by our people, will you join our team?
Required Certifications:For this position, you will be required to become a Union Pacific certified driver during your probationary period. To become certified, you must meet the following Motor Vehicle and Medical Requirements:
1. Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
2. Have valid driver's license
3. Have an acceptable driving record per your Motor Vehicle Record (MVR)
4. You may also be required to obtain your Commercial Driver's License (CDL) if you will be operating a vehicle(s) with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs or greater. If this is required, you will need to obtain your CDL during your probationary period.
Medical Requirements:Must meet the medical requirements (also called physical qualifications) for commercial motor vehicle drivers as specified by the US Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). The FMCSA physical qualifications for drivers can be found on the FMCSA homepage. Health and Medical Services at Union Pacific Railroad will make the final determination on whether or not an individual meets the FMCSA medical qualifications, and may add additional medical requirements to assure the person can safely perform job tasks, with or without accommodation.
- Inspect and maintain tools, roadway machines, vehicles, and equipment.
- Conduct maintenance and repairs, and troubleshoot malfunctions.
- Organize and track information, and coordinate the work of team members.
- Communicate and collaborate with others orally and in writing, and utilize print and digital information.
- Adhere to company and industry safety rules, practices, and procedures.
- Foster positive working relationships with coworkers, supervisors, contractors, and customers, and handle conflicts effectively.
- Ensure compliance with safety regulations, operational guidelines, and Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) requirements.
- Carry out additional assigned duties as necessary.
Qualifications - Required
- Applicants must have reached the age of 21 or above.
- Possession of a valid driver's license.
- Proficient computer literacy and basic keyboarding skills.
- Demonstrated understanding and application of safety rules, with the ability to practice safe work habits, identify safety risks, and avoid potentially risky behaviors and situations.
- Competence in using both high precision (e.g., calipers, electronic scales) and low precision (e.g., tape measures, hand levels) instruments to obtain accurate measurements.
- Proficiency in performing basic arithmetic operations, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and conversion of fractions into decimals and decimals into fractions to solve practical problems. Additionally, the ability to extract relevant information from tables, charts, graphs, and text.
- Capability to read and comprehend schematic drawings of electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic systems.
- Ownership of a personal set of mechanics' tools if employed.
- Experience working with large motor generators, high-voltage circuitry, electronics, and/or electro-mechanical systems.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to effectively convey information to colleagues and supervisors.
- Required experience: Either a minimum of 4 years of verifiable experience as a diesel mechanic or gas automotive/heavy equipment mechanic OR possession of a Journeyman's Mechanic's card.
- To be considered for this position, candidates are required to successfully complete an assessment in English before proceeding to the interview stage. For more information go to the FAQs on UP.jobs.
Qualifications - Preferred
- Possession of a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) Class A or Class B, or the ability to obtain one during the probationary period
- An Associate's degree or higher in electronics, control systems, AC/DC motors, mechanics, diesel technology, or electrical components
- Successful completion of a formal training program specializing in electronics, control systems, AC/DC motors, or electrical components
- Demonstrated experience working outdoors in diverse weather conditions (consider professional, personal, and volunteer experience)
- Proven experience handling, operating, and working in proximity to heavy moving equipment (consider professional, personal, and volunteer experience)
- Previous work experience in an environment that requires the use of personal protective equipment, including safety glasses, safety boots, hard hats, and hearing protection
- Flexibility and willingness to work in confined and/or small spaces
- Availability to work various shifts, overtime, holidays, and weekends
- To be eligible for employment, candidates are required to successfully pass a Physical Ability Test (PAT). Please note that this test is distinct from the medical examination. For further information, please consult the FAQs on UP.jobs.
- Visual Ability: Normal color vision is essential. The ability to discern and interpret various visual color signals and displays. Proficiency in identifying and determining the speed of moving objects at both near and far distances.
- Standing or Sitting: Capable of remaining standing or sitting for more than half of each workday, with opportunities to adjust positions periodically for comfort.
- Lifting and Carrying: Must demonstrate the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull objects weighing between 50 lbs. and 150 lbs.
- Physically Demanding Tasks: The capacity to perform physically strenuous work continuously. Occasional bending, stooping, and kneeling may be required.
- Mobility: Frequent walking on a variety of surfaces is necessary. Maintaining balance while performing tasks is essential. Possessing manual dexterity and excellent eye-hand coordination is a must.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without requiring company sponsorship.
- Ability to work at heights of 20 feet or higher.
- Work Schedule: The schedule may include any of the following options (or similar variations): five 8-hour workdays with 2 consecutive days off; four 10-hour workdays with 3 consecutive days off; or ten 8-hour workdays followed by accumulated rest days.
- Only apply to locations where you are willing to reside and work.
- Compliance with personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements, including the mandatory use of safety glasses, safety boots, hard hats, and hearing protection as specified by the company.
- Travel Requirements: Be prepared to be away from home for extended periods, ranging from several days to weeks at a time. Travel constitutes approximately 95-100% of the position.
- The position is governed by the International Association of Machinists (IAM).
What we offer:
- A strengths-based, engagement-focused, and performance-oriented culture
- Ongoing learning, development, and Educational Assistance (including little to no out-of-pocket cost for online and in-person courses at the University of Nebraska at Omaha)
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan with 40% match up to 5% (contribute 5% and UP will contribute 2%)
- Medical, dental and vision insurance, which are collectively bargained for through union membership
- Wellness and Employee Assistance Programs
* State & Federal criminal history
* Last 7 years of employment history to include military service
* Prior drug history
* Professional license or certification, if applicable to role
* Driving history, if applicable to role
Please click here to review Union Pacific's policy regarding background investigations.
* Medical Evaluation
* Drug Screen
* Fitness-for-duty assessment to ensure that candidates can safely perform essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation
* Color vision exam, if applicable to role
Union Pacific supports diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer here . Union Pacific is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce where equal employment opportunities are available without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, religion, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, or genetic information. Union Pacific strictly prohibits any discrimination or harassment based on protected status. Union Pacific is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its employment of individuals with disabilities. To request a disability accommodation in the application process, please use this link here to submit a request.
Union Pacific’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is based on our desire to create an environment where people can be their best, personally and professionally. Our employees are unique individuals. Our diverse perspectives come from many sources including gender, race, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status.
As America's railroad, Union Pacific has an innate responsibility to speak out against all forms of discrimination while creating an environment where all can see themselves belonging and succeeding.